NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching
Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
The complete guide to planning, configuring, managing, and troubleshooting NX-OS in enterprise environments
Kevin Corbin, CCIE® No. 11577
Ron Fuller, CCIE No. 5851
David Jansen, CCIE No. 5952
Cisco® Nexus switches and the new NX-OS operating system are rapidly becoming the new de facto standards for data center distribution/aggregation layer networking. NX-OS builds on Cisco IOS to provide advanced features that will be increasingly crucial to efficient data center operations. NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching is the definitive guide to utilizing these powerful new capabilities in enterprise environments.
In this book, three Cisco consultants cover every facet of deploying, configuring, operating, and troubleshooting NX-OS in the data center. They review the key NX-OS enhancements for high availability, virtualization, In-Service Software Upgrades (ISSU), and security. In this book, you will discover support and configuration best practices for working with Layer 2 and Layer 3 protocols and networks, implementing multicasting, maximizing serviceability, providing consistent network and storage services, and much more.
The authors present multiple command-line interface (CLI) commands, screen captures, realistic configurations, and troubleshooting tips—all based on their extensive experience working with customers who have successfully deployed Nexus switches in their data centers.
Kevin Corbin, CCIE® No. 11577, is a Technical Solutions Architect for Cisco, specializing in data center technologies. Kevin works with enterprise customers to help them develop their next-generation data center architectures. Kevin has more than 14 years of server and networking experiencing including routing, switching, security, and content networking.
Ron Fuller, CCIE No. 5851 (Routing and Switching/Storage Networking), is a Technical Solution Architect for Cisco with 19 years of experience in the industry. His focus is working with enterprise customers to address their challenges with comprehensive end-to-end data center architectures.
David Jansen, CCIE No. 5952, is a Technical Solutions Architect for Cisco’s U.S. Enterprise Segment, where he works with enterprise customers to address end-to-end data center architectures. David has more than 20 years experience in the information technology industry.
- Learn how Cisco NX-OS builds on and differs from IOS
- Work with NX-OS user modes, management interfaces, and system files
- Configure Layer 2 networking: VLANs/private VLANs, STP, virtual port channels, and unidirectional link detection
- Configure Layer 3 EIGRP, OSPF, BGP, and First Hop Redundancy Protocols (FHRPs)
- Set up IP multicasting with PIM, IGMP, and MSDP
- Secure NX-OS with SSH, Cisco TrustSec, ACLs, port security, DHCP snooping, Dynamic ARP inspection, IP Source Guard, keychains, Traffic Storm Control, and more
- Build high availability networks using process modularity and restart, stateful switchover, nonstop forwarding, and in-service software upgrades
- Utilize NX-OS embedded serviceability, including Switched Port Analyzer (SPAN), Smart Call Home, Configuration Checkpoint/Rollback, and NetFlow
- Use the NX-OS Unified Fabric to simplify infrastructure and provide ubiquitous network and storage services
- Run NX-OS on Nexus 1000V server-based software switches
This book is part of the Networking Technology Series from Cisco Press®, which offers networking professionals valuable information for constructing efficient networks, understanding new technologies, and building successful careers.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Introduction to Cisco NX-OS
Chapter 2 Layer 2 Support and Configurations
Chapter 3 Layer 3 Support and Configurations
Chapter 4 IP Multicast Configuration
Chapter 5 Security
Chapter 6 High Availability
Chapter 7 Embedded Serviceability Features
Chapter 8 Unified Fabric
Chapter 9 Nexus 1000V
- Title: NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
- Author: David Jansen, Kevin Corbin, Ron Fuller
- Length: 480 pages
- Edition: 1
- Language: English
- Publisher:Cisco Press
- Publication Date: 2010-06-20
- ISBN-10: 1587058928
- ISBN-13: 9781587058929
EU(multi): Click to download
NitroFlare: Click to download